Music Banter - View Single Post - Crosswalking
Thread: Crosswalking
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 11:27 PM   #54 (permalink)
Paedantic Basterd
Music Addict

I have been slacking off lately, I admit. I've listened to an awful lot of releases in the last month, but very few that were either remarkable or abominable enough to give me much to write on.

City & Colour - Little Hell (2011)

Even during the height of my interest in pop punk and post-hardcore, I had very little interest in Dallas Green. It's true that he was the most listenable aspect of Alexisonfire's music, and it could also be said that his solo project had a witty name, but his breathy, wounded stylings did little to pique my interest.

Little has changed about City & Colour since Save Your Scissors was the anthem of sensitive boys the world over. When compared to his previous discography, Little Hell is the audio equivalent of an off-white square painted upon an eggshell-white canvas, but with none of the symbolism.

Bill Callahan - Apocalypse (2011)

If I'm being honest, I really expected the apocalypse to be more interesting than this.

Low - C'mon (2011)

I've had some really uneventful experiences with slowcore; the very name of the genre practically a disclaimer for boredom. C'mon has been a fantastic surprise this year, gorgeous harmonies drifting over lumbering guitars on an album that never grows disheartening or repetitive.

Giles Corey - Giles Corey (2011)

A fleetingly beautiful folk album by Have a Nice Life's Dan Barrett, whose intrigue lies just as much in the backstory as in the music. Dan Barrett nearly committed suicide. Following, he created Giles Corey; a project aimed at determining the value of living through songwriting. Haunting in light of this information, Giles Corey is a catalogue of this struggle.

Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote