Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Classic Rock albums?
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 10:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Necromancer
Divination

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
THIS ONE

...and they said it best as well, "It's not a matter of us being the #1 rock band in the world, it's about how much farther ahead we are of #2".

Sure, there are plenty of detractors now, sure the critics hated them initially, sure the music is predictable and played out by this point; but that's because every other rock band that's sprung up since the 70s has been directly influenced by them. Whether or not they were trying to 1up them like so many hair metal bands, or trying to decry their worth to society and culture like so many punk bands who wanted to strip away the excess and debauchery of the arena rock largesse, it was all still as a result of the one and only.

I also agree with CaptainCaptain that Classic Rock is more of a radio format than genre, my local 'classic' rock station routinely plays Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Red Hot Chili Peppers. A more proper definition of Classic Rock is needed to better organize a Top 10.
Led Zeppelin are the most influential for sure. In the 70s they were the highest paying band of all time for live concerts.

I myself, suggest Ozzy Osbourne-Blizzard of Ozz as a candidate. Debut of Randy Roads. Ozzy has introduced an array of rock guitarist through the years.
Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote