Music Banter - View Single Post - The Avant Garde/Experimental Music Recommendation Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #111 (permalink)
Electrophonic Tonic
Your Ad Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Pat View Post
It's one of my favorite psychedelic rock albums, but I wouldn't say it's on the same level as Trout Mask Replica in terms of being avant-garde. I mean, for the most part USA would use somewhat conventional song structures, such as with "Coming Down" and "Stranded in Time" while Beefheart has an almost complete disregard for it and rearranges blues song structures to the point where you can barely recognize them as being "blues." This is especially evident in Trout Mask Replica and Lick My Decals Off Baby.

Although, I'm pretty sure you can make a valid argument over it being one of the best psych albums of the 60s.
I wouldn't have a problem with that argument. USA probably isn't as avant-garde as 'Trout Mask Replica'. But I would still certainly classify USA as an avant-garde album none the less.

On a side note...

Looking through my library today I found the Residents 'The Third Reich n' Roll'. I forgot I had that album. I really liked that album and I haven't really checked out their other stuff even though I've been meaning to.
Electrophonic Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote