Music Banter - View Single Post - Last album you bought, downloaded or listened to
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 04:15 PM   #15669 (permalink)
Zer0

The Airborne Toxic Event - All At Once (2011)
Ditto about this one. The band seem to be aiming for a grandiose widescreen indie sound a la Arcade Fire but end up just sounding empty and lacking in direction. The last song 'The Graveyard Near The House' is good enough but it's not enough to save this album from the land of the bland.

Johnny Foreigner - Waited Up Til It Was Light (2008)
Ditto about this one either. It sounds a bit messy and unfocused and the vocals just kind of irritate me a bit at times. There are still some decent moments however but unfortunately not enough of them. I've heard this kind of stuff done a lot better by the likes of Sky Larkin, Blood Red Shoes and Los Campesinos!

Another Sunny Day - London Weekend (1992)
Yes this is more like it. This is a compilation of all the band's singles and respective b-sides from 1988 to 1992. This is quality indie-pop with some great memorable songs and some brilliant lyrics. Some of the songs here even veer close to the early Smiths sound.

The Blue Nile - Hats (1989)
I'm listening to this right now and it is fantastic. It has such a gorgeous melancholic night-time feel to it and a pretty good use of synths and reverb. The production does sound very 80's but rather than sound really dated it actually sounds kind of nostalgic and beautiful. Love it.