Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Movie Opinions.
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Dr.Seussicide
FakingSuicideForApplause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
Sorry my reply doesn't reach your standards.
I wasn't trying to prove Jackhammer wrong, just that it works the other way around too.

I'm not saying all films are bad, most of the films he listed are very good.

What I am saying is I've never seen a film that was better than the book or the TV series if it was originally made as those things. I enjoy character development, watching plot strands come to fruition, evolution of concepts. Most of those things don't translate into films very well due to the time constraints that most films have.
So from my point of view the only things that movies have as a plus point is a bigger budget which is probably why I watch so few.
Last year I spent about 2 months working my way through the entire run of The Sopranos. I got a hell of a lot more out of that than I ever did watching The Godfather Trilogy or Goodfellas, as good as they are.

If you want something to fill a couple of hours then movies are great, I just like to invest a bit more time into something a little deeper, that's all.
I can definitely agree with the bolded point, granted you have the time, and I do love television series, even especially mini-series a lot as well. But I guess the point I was trying to make is just that, movies do actually do pretty well for themselves given their time frame, and I guess the fact that they can pull it off is what make movies special. I can appreciate your view on plot outlines and character development as well in books and tv series being fundamentally better than movies . I can completely understand that. So I guess the second side of the coin isn't as dirty as I originally thought.

Dr.Seussicide is offline   Reply With Quote