Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 02:50 AM   #6466 (permalink)
Necromancer
Divination

Quote:
Originally Posted by BastardofYoung View Post
Well, I believe all styles of music have some sort of image attatched to it. Be it rap, punk, rock, metal, country, classical, blues and so on... there is some sort of image... which is fine, but it, atleast to me, becomes a matter of... does the image overpower the art. Looking at blues, I would Blues Brothers are an example of image over art, they dress blues, but play total generic soulless versions of... while some may say they are great, i say they are about the image they put out, and hold em to it, and see em as just entertainment... granted they are essentially a comedy act on top, so maybe that is not the best example to use, but still makes my point.

The Beatles, yeah, started out as cute stuff that blended into the British Invasion scene, but overtime I think they grew much more into an artistic band than that of The Stones, they were always growing and experimenting and trying new things.. while The Stones, to me atleast, just kinda remained the same, only trying to evolve when another band was doing something.

The Stones I love, they were the bad boys, they had that element to em, that seemed more dangerous and out there than the cuteness of The Beatles. I say The Beatles were "i wanna hold your hand" and the Stones were just "i wanna f*ck you". Beatles were the nice boys you took home to mom and dad, Stones were the bad ass boys yer dad would of kicked the s*it out of... and I like that in rock n roll, do not get me wrong.

In the end who is better is personal preference, really no right answer as to which was the better band... i just feel The Beatles were always growing, while The Stones seemed to be happy in the same place.
If that were the case, then none of the bands mentioned above could touch the image of the band Kiss or Michael Jackson. Does that musically make Kiss or whoever? A better talented band or genre than that of the Stones or Beatles? Image is nothing more than propaganda and media statistics.
One of the only few cases of where image over art (as you state). That I can think of with any viability that verses the music, would be the career of Milli Vanilli. But in most instances, my point being is that image usually holds very little, if "No" barring at all on the majority of most bands actual music and style.
Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote