Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #6494 (permalink)
Necromancer
Divination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
It`d be interesting from the Americans on here, to see who they think were the two most revered American bands of all time to make that same comparison. I certainly know which bands or artists I`d pick, but it`d be great to see an American perspective on this.
I will name a few off the top of my head. Without goggling for the answer! My first two would be The Beach Boys & The Byrds as being important bands to note, although Steely Dan (jazz rock) is #1. Aerosmith played a major role in the 70s with their blues/rock style. Of course Jimi Hendrix, although he had to go to England first before making his appearance at the Monterey festival in '67 which launched his career. There are a lot of bands and artist I'm missing out on mentioning so holding that into account..
To be honest, I really don't label bands or artist as being British, American, or whatever their ethnic origin may be. Music belongs to everybody and not just one certain fan base. Setting boundaries should be left to the musicians and songwriters. I mean Keith Richard is mainly influenced by Chuck Berry? That doesn't make his style American based to any major extent.
I see time after time, certain suggestions like origin, image, media statistics, record sales, and so on, mentioned when someone is rating a band. When none of it has anything to do with the actual music itself in most cases. If I want to listen to a more progressive and sophisticated style, I would throw on some YES or Steely Dan. (Here is one for debate), I always liked the Police and some of Sting's solo work if I wanted a more articular style of "rock" music. The fact remains that British bands have dominated rock music since the British invasion in the 60s. In my opinion American bands of recent years have catered more toward the Metal genre and its sub-genres? Blah, blah..
Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote