Music Banter - View Single Post - 10 Reasons Why The Rolling Stones Were Better Than The Beatles
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #371 (permalink)
starrynight
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Nah, nah, nah, the Stones started as Blues band and had their own influences i.e. American Blues and R&B - how much do you even know about the Stones? And really if anyone followed anyone it was The Beatles that followed The Shadows and lifted the Shad's sound, 'beat music,' wholesale in the beginning.

Yeah ok, the Stones didn't stick to one formula (the Blues) during the 60's and changed their sound along with every other band in the 60s, they weren't following The Beatles anticipating their every move. If anything they inspired each other, and their are some instances where the Stones were innovators. I don't understand why you want to make the Stones out to be lost puppies following The Beatles. I'll admit I like The Beatles but there is this mythologizing of The Beatles that I quite don't understand.
I'm not saying The Beatles weren't influenced by other people (Buddy Holly and others) nor that The Rolling Stones always followed them, but where the sitar is concerned it looks very likely that they did follow them. The Rolling Stones did some good music, but most people out there would not think they rivalled The Beatles. The Beach Boys were a closer rival, so were The Kinks.