Music Banter - View Single Post - Intense reactions to music
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 09:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
CanwllCorfe
Quiet Man in the Corner

Default Intense reactions to music

Who has them? For me, they can get pretty severe. Which is why I'm contemplating the removal of any intensely sad/angry music from my iPhone. If it's electronic, it's always positive. If it's club oriented I'll just feel excited and feel the need to move around and such. If it's lowkey and chill, it will calm me down immensely. That's always good, except sometimes it's too effective. In other words, it's not good for me to listen it when I'm driving. It almost feels as if I won't react as quickly as I should.

On the negative side of things, listening to songs that are sad/angry (especially sad) can lead to pretty intense feelings. When I listen to an angry song, I usually just feel intense amounts of energy and don't really know what to do with it. I'll make all kinds of weird faces and whatnot, but I don't literally feel angry or anything. Sad songs on the other hand can pretty much screw me over. I'll go from content to miserable and stay that way long after the music is over. I will definitely cry, but not in the usual way. It's not so much sobbing as much as an immediate reaction. It will usually only last for a minute, and won't continue after the song is over. Only the feeling of sadness will.

To some songs I'll shake and tremble and won't be able to stay still. It gets especially weird when I'm listening to stuff on my iPhone and other people are in the car, because I have an exceptionally hard time not showing anything. I usually just have to tap my hands or feet or something. I'll also have these weird noises that I make which, I don't even know what they are (I think it's from suppressing the reactions I get from the music). Sometimes I'll hold my breath (which I'll do when listening to some songs), and then slowly expel it. Other times I'll just make nonsense sounds that seem to be a reaction to the music itself. I'll usually have to cough or clear my throat afterwards to try and cover it up.

CanwllCorfe is offline   Reply With Quote