Music Banter - View Single Post - A question to vegetarians
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #640 (permalink)
Howard the Duck
Live by the Sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
But my question is, why is "sapiency" the deciding factor in whether or not an animal can be eaten? What is it about "sapiency" that should be preserved? Pigs are well known to be relatively intelligent. They have feelings and emotions. They can feel pain and suffer. They care for their young. I'm sure I could go on about how pigs are more than just unthinking machines that eat, sleep, and poop. Yet, we eat them almost without thinking.

So, for us to be okay with killing and eating them, all these things (many of which humans also show) must not be a deciding factor in whether or not we should eat them. I mean if killing and eating something that feels emotions isn't truly wrong, why should we have arrested Jeffrey Dahmer? What particular aspect of "sapiency" is wrong to destroy, when it is okay to disregard emotions, the ability to suffer, life in general, etc when deciding whether or not to eat something?
but are pigs really intelligent in the human sense?

or are we just anthropomorphising them based on observation?

Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote