Music Banter - View Single Post - Intense reactions to music
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
ThePhanastasio
Killed Laura Palmer

I get them, too. Sometimes, musical passages sans lyrics which are horribly emotive are enough to push me over to tears in my eyes, but usually it's stuff with lyrics and incredibly sad motifs that does the trick.

Strangely, I'll get a lot of times where one line in a song that isn't necessarily intensely sad will just set me off because it's almost exactly what I feel, or because one line will just make me ache for the person singing it. One such example was when I was at a pub which plays mainly 80s and 90s alternative and indie, and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" came on. I'm not a huge Nirvana fan by any means, but for some reason the line, "I'm worst at what I do best and for this gift I feel blessed," just really hit me in some weird way, and I started crying right there in the pub. I hadn't even started my drink yet.

A lot of times, if I'm particularly affected, I just have to sit there quietly and can't talk or anything because I know that my voice would be shaking. My best friend went through a messy breakup a month or so ago, and kept playing his really depressing indie/folk breakup CD in his car. I knew that was his coping mechanism, because he was upset, but his CD was just completely making me violently depressed.

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote