Music Banter - View Single Post - Slayer vs Metallica
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #113 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLPOCALYPSE View Post
The two can't really be pulled that far apart from each other. Despite what these posts would indicate, "One" is just as radio-friendly as "Enter Sandman", regardless of any differences found in the songs.
My point is not that the songs are melodic or accessible. My point is that "Enter Sandman" is a cheap radio hit that sounds like a metalized version of Foreigner. It's tailor made to have a big riff to be played in a big venue to a bunch of *******s who would be just as happy moshing to Limp Bizkit or Linkin Park.

Quote:
That being said, there are a couple differences between the two albums. Yes, AJFA has longer songs. Yes, AJFA has a more progressive metal sound. But these differences are far too overemphasized. The overall Metallica sound is retained between the two albums.
The differences are not overemphasized. When I was sixteen, The Black Album ruled my bitch ass. I didn't have the attention span or maturity to really get why Metallica's earlier **** was better. Now that I'm twenty four, The Black Album is cheap, boring, and just sounds like it was made for people who weren't old enough to drink (who just happen to be the only people I ever meet who think it's their best album). Sure, every now and again I listen to The Black Album for a change of pace, but halfway through the album, I'm already bored to tears and ready to put it up for another year or two. I still regularly listen to their first four albums (well, mostly 2nd, 3rd, and 4th), even a decade after I first started listening to them because they still sound fresh and make my head bang even when I try to sit still, but the Black Album got stale about five years ago.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote