Music Banter - View Single Post - Slayer vs Metallica
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #116 (permalink)
LOLPOCALYPSE
Aryan Wonder

Don't worry, I would never use the term trve metal as a compliment. I still wouldn't say any flirtations were as strong as when "One" was released. Everything surrounding its creation seemed to have a more commercial vibe about it. Metallica, after being openly against MTV, broke down and made a music video for "One". Once against the media and MTV, you now have a band that has its own edition of the Guitar Hero video game. Interesting...

Anyway, I still don't think that the change in sound was as radical as it is made out to be (and it should have been expected, as I said, with the increasing popularity from the previously most accessible album, AJFA). AJFA sounds as arena-ready as any later Metallica releases, even if it was not intentional. "One" equally provides a gateway for those Limp Bizkit type listeners you mentioned before. I don't think the other previous melodic songs were nearly as accessible, as proven by initial sales and recognition of AJFA. It sold more than previous albums not because the band was growing a thrashy fanbase but rather because it was the most accessible Metallica album of the time. The Black Album was just the next step.
LOLPOCALYPSE is offline   Reply With Quote