Music Banter - View Single Post - Slayer vs Metallica
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 08:13 PM   #120 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Connoisseur View Post
I 110% agree with you on your thoughts concerning Lombardo over Lars. But Kirk not being a good guitarist? I can't buy into that. That video was funny but at the same time It doesn't discredit his entire body of work and decades of guitar playing. Who would you say is better and why?
I see what you mean. For the record, I love the first four Metallica albums. Hammett is not a "bad" guitar player at all. His solos go with the music well and add to it. And I'm sure that he was just going through some kind of rough patch in that video. Still, I expect that a seasoned guitarist like himself would be able to figure out how to play a simple riff more easily than that.

As for comparison, let's look at Kerry King. I won't say he's a "better" guitarist than Hammett but, to me, he makes Slayer a more interesting band than Metallica. His lead work is just insane. His solos are pure emotion and usually have nothing to do with the song structure. He just goes wild and plays chaotic nonsense that nobody could teach. It's just another reason I like Slayer better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
This is just embarrassing and Dave Mustaine must be thinking WTF! Poor old Hammett needs to sort his hair out as well.
Haha. Very true and I'm sure Mustaine's been thinking the same way since the early 80s. This is for a different thread but I think Mustaine's jealousy + drug addiction kind of ruined Megadeth. He's so much better than Hammett. Hetfield and Mustaine together as guitarists could have made such a better band than Metallica ever were.