Music Banter - View Single Post - The drifters
Thread: The drifters
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylrecords View Post
clyde mcphatter,ben e.king,johnny moore,rudy lewis...ever hear of these guys?haha of course you have if you're a fan one one of the greatest doowop/soul groups of all time-THE DRIFTERS...
I hadn't heard of Clyde McPhatter until today. I know the thread is about The Drifters, who enjoyed his membership from 1953 - 1954 before he launched his solo career, but since Clyde was mentioned specificially I will broaden the topic to include all of his music.

Today I listened to Clyde McPhatter's song, "Take A Step," and am impressed by his energetic singing and the cute, encouraging lyrics. I like his little "oo's" and "uhs." The song sounds so upbeat and cheery that it makes the sad ending to McPhatter's life even sadder:

Quote:
Clyde McPhatter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Hopes for a major comeback with a Decca album were crushed on June 13, 1972, when Clyde McPhatter died in his sleep at the age of 39 from complications of heart, liver, and kidney disease, brought on by alcohol abuse - abuse that had been fueled by a failed career and the resentment he harbored towards the fans he felt had deserted him. In a 1971 interview with journalist Marcia Vance, McPhatter told Vance 'I have no fans.' "
Only 39!!! But here we can enjoy his voice and the peppy beat again. How sad to think he died possibly believing he had no fans!

Clyde McPhatter - "Take A Step"

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 07-09-2011 at 04:36 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote