Music Banter - View Single Post - STOP Right now! thank you very Much! Spice Girls Thread!!
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 05:26 AM   #31 (permalink)
starrynight
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Nah, I think DJ's right in terms of modern Pop vocal groups, The Spice Girls were relatively the first, they are The Beatles of Girl Bands they top selling Band surpassing mostly all Boy Bands and they are in the elite class with Barbra Streisand in terms of record sales and even surpassing her 71.5 million albums with the Spice Girls selling 100 million records but not as many as ABBA with 350 million records - womp womp. The Spice Girls were the brain-child of Simon Fuller who wanted a group to appear to teens like Boy Bands appealed to young teen girls, so they modeled after both "Josie and The Pussy Cats" and the 80's Boy Bands of the 80's like N'Sync NKOTB etc etc. really crappy Pop groups like that who were just plastic commercial imitation of real R&B vocal groups of the 70's.
Record sales don't always reflect actual achievement. Anyway the earliest girl group I know of was The Boswell Sisters back in the 30s. Then you have The Andrews Sisters. Then doo-wop and ones like The Chordettes. Then in the 60s The Supremes and The Ronettes, and others. The 70s had The Three Degrees among others. Then the 80s had Bananarama among others. The Spice Girls were far from the first girl group to sell records. Maybe they seemed fresh to some of the young audience in the late 90s, but not to most other people.