Music Banter - View Single Post - STOP Right now! thank you very Much! Spice Girls Thread!!
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #63 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
Who did they pave the ground for? What are some of the "manufactured girl bands" after the Spice Girls. I just think that they were a pop "Fad" of the day. Nothing more!
To understand the impact that the Spice Girls had, you really had to be in the UK from around the mid 90`s onwards to experience their impact. They were always on TV, in the newspapers and the kids were always talking about them and teenage girls often identified themselves with each member of the band. They could be described as a crappy fad, but they did kick off a whole genre of manufactured girl bands and for that reason will always be remembered.

I don`t know why you mentioned the Wilson sisters in this debate, these were clearly female rocksters who fronted a rock band much like Joan Jett and Pat Benatar etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Okay. I came in the middle of the conversation and didn't realize this was just about British female pop groups. If that's what we're talking about then I can't really think of any that came right before the Spice Girls either.
There were no other all female groups anything like the Spice Girls here in the UK, the only other popular females bands before them, were bands like Bananarama and Fuzzbox etc but you could hardly call these bands manufactured.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote