Music Banter - View Single Post - STOP Right now! thank you very Much! Spice Girls Thread!!
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #78 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynight View Post
Record sales don't always reflect actual achievement. Anyway the earliest girl group I know of was The Boswell Sisters back in the 30s. Then you have The Andrews Sisters. Then doo-wop and ones like The Chordettes. Then in the 60s The Supremes and The Ronettes, and others. The 70s had The Three Degrees among others. Then the 80s had Bananarama among others. The Spice Girls were far from the first girl group to sell records. Maybe they seemed fresh to some of the young audience in the late 90s, but not to most other people.

Record sales does show an actual achievement, the achievement of selling records; I think it's better said that record sales don't correlate to the quality and integrity of the music. There's no way to prove that mainstream chart-topping "Pop music" is much better than obscure underground music by claiming record sales or even comparing two Pop act and claiming the one that sells more is more artistic. Still they set a benchmark no other all female vocal group, or all female rock band passed. That isn't a testament to their musicality just their popularity.
Why I agree with DJ-C was based on they were relatively the first female vocal group as far as a female vocal group are concern that sold merchandise like t-shirts, lunch boxes, back packs, notebooks, dolls etc etc. I didn't say they were very first female vocal group - that would be ridiculous, it's obviously not true.

It was if they were fabricated to be a singing group/merchandising machine.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote