Music Banter - View Single Post - STOP Right now! thank you very Much! Spice Girls Thread!!
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #80 (permalink)
starrynight
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Record sales does show an actual achievement, the achievement of selling records; I think it's better said that record sales don't correlate to the quality and integrity of the music. There's no way to prove that mainstream chart-topping "Pop music" is much better than obscure underground music by claiming record sales or even comparing two Pop act and claiming the one that sells more is more artistic. Still they set a benchmark no other all female vocal group, or all female rock band passed. That isn't a testament to their musicality just their popularity.
Why I agree with DJ-C was based on they were relatively the first female vocal group as far as a female vocal group are concern that sold merchandise like t-shirts, lunch boxes, back packs, notebooks, dolls etc etc. I didn't say they were very first female vocal group - that would be ridiculous, it's obviously not true.

It was if they were fabricated to be a singing group/merchandising machine.
Exactly, merchandising, marketing. The whole scary, posh etc monickers they got for instance. But it's a myth that that is what pop music is just about, it isn't. Others have got by on music than simply on image. Not that image is restricted to pop of course, some rock acts have depended very heavily on image. And of course selling records is an achievement though how much of that is due to the group and how much to the person how thought up the concept and put them together and marketed them in a particular way?