Music Banter - View Single Post - Any Fans Of Progressive Rock?
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2005, 08:06 AM   #26 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy
I like a lot of prog rock from the 60/70s. I call it hippy music.
I enjoy a lot of Jefferson Airplane, Steppenwolf, Canned Heat, amonst others.
those are pyschedelic rock bands not prog bands, though they do have progressive elements in their music for sure, but theres a slight difference between bands who make progressive music and true blue progressive rock bands...every rock artist progresse's in some way musicaly, progressive rock however is not just about progressing, it is also based on several distinct principles and characteristics...progressive rock and pyschedelic rock have some things in common as well as similar roots, but they are not the same genre...though both genres were born at about the same time...in the mid 60s post sgt peppers...jefferson airplane, love, grateful dead, quicksilver messenger service and the united states of america were the first pyschedelic rock bands and the moody blues, the nice, procal harum, traffic and the mothers of invention were the first progressive rock bands...but there are bands who blend both styles, pink floyd for example are both progressive rock and psychedelic rock...space rock is a style of rock that mix's both genres...hawkwind, gong and eloy are some notable space rock bands.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote