Music Banter - View Single Post - Third Eye Vision
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mrd00d
Stoned and Jammin' Out

Vol. 6: R
No. Title Length
1. "Track 1" 19:45
2. "Track 2" 3:42
3. "Track 3" 4:30
4. "Track 4" 1:11
5. "Track 5" 15:46
Total length:
45:00

Volume 6 opens up with one of, but not THE, longest track in the set.
It's worth hearing at least once, maybe. If you're into this sort of thing. If you're still reading this... you'll probably want to hear it once. This is called "The Eye of the Storm", but seems more akin to "The Torrential Downpour with thunder and lightning and car crashed and **** exploding and total collapse of the area part of the Storm" because there is not a moment of rest to be found here. Pure noodle. Rockin drums. I really dig on Brain's drumtrack, and kind of ear up to the guitar when he stops noodling, before he goes back to it. 1:45, very interesting use of sound effects. 4:40 - 5:40, very annoying use of sound effects... fax machine or something. This is absolutely nuts-o.

Perhaps it should be noted, though, that the dude did just shred and noodle for about twenty minutes at intense speeds, more or less without pause. I think that's the point of this song. Guiness World Records attempt? Se duele mi cabeza un pequito.

Then we roll into "Unhinged Paradox", which is eeriness around a classical piano sample that I've heard before, but couldn't place a name or artist to. There's an interesting juxtaposition between the unabashedly upbeat piano versus Buckethead's echoing guitar and the hi-hat. Ditch the piano for something more in tune with the feel of the track, a creepy, old organ. Buckethead keeps his echo effect on and there's some sort of wankery with a sample and distortion. It's an interesting track. Not annoying, but uncomfortable, which seems to be the goal...

"Last Light", track 3, is a welcome, upbeat track. It comes in at just over four minutes, but it's pure delight. Buckethead has a really mellow tone here, and even when he's noodling at high speeds, it still sounds gorgeous. Not only is the tone sweeter here, but he switches between noodling, tossing chords, and sweet riffs in. It's really an all together well done, above average track. Drums are stiff and boring here though, drum machine status.

"Dig Up From Underneath" has a dark, off-kilter sound. Buckethead seems to be making a rocking jam on all the wrong notes for the **** of it. It still sounds sweet, and it also gives it a creepy vibe...

and to end this short volume,

"Amputee Shuffle". With a name like that, you know it's going to be weird and groovy right? Right. Kind of reminds me of a Charlie Chaplin movie, where Charlie Chaplin is Buckethead, and he's comically caught up and pitted against an amputee in a squabble. Very cool guitar licks hidden in here, in between the noodling. Very rockin' drums provided amazingly by Brain, I assume.

Laughed out loud at 6:00 when he starts to do that old western galloping song, and botches it and noodles out and works his way elsewhere. Just a good ol' solid jam session.

Last edited by Mrd00d; 07-12-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote