Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Hip-Hop Being Irresponsible?
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
[MERIT]
Account Disabled

Default Is Hip-Hop Being Irresponsible?

Does anyone else think that it is irresponsible to sing or rap about certain subjects?

I was listening to a hip-hop radio show today. The hosts are normally quite socially aware and on point, but they proceeded to give praise to a new artist based on his song being a "banger," yet completely disregarding the fact that nearly every line was referencing "sipping on sizzurp" or "smokin' trees." After multiple notable deaths in the rap community (DJ Screw, Big Moe, Pimp C, etc.) which were related to or directly caused by the recreational use of prescription cough medicine, one would think that the hip-hop world would become more aware of the dangers of such irresponsible promotion.

It is by no means lost on me that many rappers also reference other drug use ("pushing weight," "popping pills," etc), as well as violence, guns and gang life. Many of my favorite rappers are guilty of this, so in a way I am perpetuating the cycle myself.

I think it would behove many rappers (and musicians in general) to think about the impact that their music may have on their listeners.
[MERIT] is offline   Reply With Quote