Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Hip-Hop Being Irresponsible?
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 03:25 AM   #35 (permalink)
Scarlett O'Hara
Make it so

Quote:
Originally Posted by matious View Post
They do indeed. However, I think your experiences is a good example that many people aren't really aware of it. People really just listen for the beats.

A lot of popular hip hop songs discuss rape and murder in a positive light. It honestly doesn't bother me too much, but I'm so disensitised to it at this point.
[2]

I personally as a women find rappers making light of rape still very offensive. I think it shows the lack of integrity they have, in terms of how they view women.

In the end though, I think society has become so immune to the hateful slurs of rappers, it doesn't even affect them.

There is some merit to thinking that young kids/teens listening to rap music could indeed influence their behaviours such as by getting into drugs and alcohol, but it's not going to be the sole reason. It's not that black and white. If parents have control over their kids then there should be less concern, but these days everyone's too busy to give a ****. So why not blame those who are drawing attention to themselves? It was no different in the late 50's early 60's when the conservatives tried banning rock and roll music.

When I was a teen I did drugs, smoked and drinked because I wanted to and my friends did too. It wasn't because music said to. So no, hip-hop is not being irresponsible, it's not their job to be role models or parents. The fact is people would still rape, murder and do drugs with or without rap bringing it to the spotlight.

Pardon my incoherent ramblings. I was thinking it through as I went along.