Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Hip-Hop Being Irresponsible?
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 04:20 AM   #36 (permalink)
Mrd00d
Stoned and Jammin' Out

I don't know friend. I see your perspective but I disagree with almost all of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
You do have old man mentality with that one. This generation is far better off than during our own time because they have the internet to open up their minds to a greater library of music than just using the radio and music television channels to get music.
I was born in 87. By the time I was 11 I had Windows 98 and a slow internet connection. I was downloading free music by '99. That being said, most didn't and I was one of the few always coming up with new bands and even genres to listen to, etc. because most were just on CDs from shows and/or radio and/or tv. Yes, the playing field is level now that nearly everyone is online, but you must know that not everyone has computer, internet, or a smartphone, even in America.

Also, besides us folks on MB and the like, the general populace doesn't care enough about music or 'have enough time' to research their favorite bands music tree, or branch out to new things. The average person gets online, checks email and facebook, and signs off. Those in the position to download new songs might hear about a new artist from a friend or blog or something and download a few tracks, maybe an album. They might go so far as to check out older albums or maybe top recommended similar material, but that's about it. It's a snails pace in terms of finding new stuff. I treated finding new, great music like a job for a while, hunting, crate digging, staying up to the wee hours of the morning listening and rating, going through 10 albums a day at least, and still not had enough. I still haven't finished. But I have 5,000 5 star tracks and 16,000 5+4.5 star tracks, which is what I throw on random and chill to. Your average human being doesn't have that dedication to do that, or even half of that. Your average person is so distracted multi-tasking watching "Robot Chicken/So You Think You Can Dance", chatting/texting, and having other interests plus the false sense of contentment of having 'enough' music that most people don't realize there is anything else out there to be desired. Even when they come across something 'unique and different' aka they've stumbled upon a new genre or sound they treat that as an end, like "Oh man, this is all I need out of this sound of music, this is perfect" when they're barely brushing the surface, etc.

Long story short: they have the tools to do so, but most don't use them. Most don't even know there's better stuff out there, and most don't know the classics, of any genre.
Quote:
This generation has a greater advantage because of all the green jobs being available and also the handy dandy internet so that whole "unprepared" crap is just nonsense imo.

Just... I'm sorry. Either I misunderstand or... I don't know. I find this thought to be either laughable or... I dunno.

Quote:
going online and looking for music isn't digging hard imo. You know how easy it is to come across music so quickly? The same better/more music that was played is also part of what they are able to find today as well easier thanks to the internet.
I've spend over a year looking for certain albums. Torrents, Limewire, warez sites, Mediafire, Rapidshare, everything. Finally found a blogspot in Russian or something that had a link embedded.... Not so black and white. It depends how pop-ular the music you're looking for is.

For example, I've been hearing for the past week or two that one of my favorite guitarists fifth album is out, but I still can't find a copy. If this was a Lil Wayne album I would have had a leak last month.

Mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote