Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Hip-Hop Being Irresponsible?
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 05:39 AM   #37 (permalink)
MoonlitSunshine
Dat's Der Bunny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
Some people feel like talking about guns and going to kill people is viewed as negative, in the first post, he talks about how people are still rapping about drinking purple drank and he feels like it's a negative thing to be promoting that even though they aren't. They rap about it because they use it and they are grown ass adults, if they want to drink something that's harmful to their own body and they could possibly die from it then so bit it.
I think you're vastly underestimating that thing called youthful impressionism and influence. A lot of these guys are idols, and anything they say they do, or find fun, at least a few people are going to try. It's just the way this stuff works.

I think there is a lot of negativity in Hip-hop/Rap. The posturing, the sheer aggression, the derision and degrading nature of the lyrics, be it sexist, racist or simply as insulting to someone else as the artist can manage. I think there is a lot of positive stuff in hip-hop as well; Striving to succeed, regardless of where you started in life, people like Jurassic 5 who rap about holding onto what's important to you, but I don't think it's possible to laugh off all the "gonna go shoot some drugs and **** some bitches" stuff in rap as "they can do what they want because they're adults". Adults have responsibilities, and one of those responsibilities is understanding the consequences of one's actions, something I personally feel is absent in much rap.

- Arthur Dent
MoonlitSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote