Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Hip-Hop Being Irresponsible?
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 05:44 AM   #38 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrd00d View Post
I feel like an old man at the age of 23 when I say... do you see the kids these days? I've seen stoned children no older than 11 come into my store asking for matches. I'm a stoner and I have a problem with that. Parenting is as bad as ever, media is worse than ever. The Lady Gaga videos where she's butt naked save caution tape or so on would not have been aired 15 years ago. Growing up nowadays, there's relatively no alternative for this generation. It's radio rap, radio pop, radio rock, or dubstep. And as far as all the radio songs, almost especially in the pop department, have gotten doubly more explicit in the last decade, for the sake of shock value and oneupsmanship.

I shake my head at how dumb a lot of these kids are by the time they graduate high school. My generation was smarter. I always felt like I just barely made the cut in the 'good' generation, and mind you, I was envious of my older cousins growing up as teens in the 90s. They really had alternatives to mainstream then.

I seen the 8 year old neighbors' kids dancing out in the driveway to Lady Gaga for an hour, singing along to every word, and I hear the content and see the girl and just shake my head. She will be a slut by high school.

Has anyone taken a look at this generation of kids coming out of the works? They thought my generation was 'unprepared', wait til' they see these kids. Absolutely mindless drones.
Eh. People have been saying these kinds of things about younger generations since the beginning of time. Thus far the world hasn't gone to hell in a handbasket, people just continue being people.

On a side note, as someone who was a teenager in the 90s, I can tell you firsthand there is far more access to alternatives to the mainstream now than there was then, thanks to the internet.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote