Music Banter - View Single Post - Paul McCartney - The REAL King of Pop?
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #116 (permalink)
Necromancer
Divination

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynight View Post
Although I like some of his music I'm not sure he's really really produced as many good songs across the decades as McCartney. Icons? Yes that is about image, and most rock musicians depend on image, attitude, flamboyancy to make themselves cool to the young audience.

And Neapolitan asks about other good stuff in the 70s? Well singer-songwriters were much less about having a big iconic image (Elton John being the exception). Then of course there are other things like disco, the start of new wave/punk, progressive music, classical/experimental music, jazz. Lots of good 70s music.
I agree Richie hasn't, (for obvious reasons) produced/released as many songs over the decades as McCartney has, but I think possibly in my own personal opinion, that Lionel Richie has written far better solo material than McCartneys.

My original referral to Icons? Was meant to mean..for example, classic singles like Ziggy Stardust, and so on..has made Bowie and other artist Icons. For writing such unique and original songs unlike any other artist has. Nothing at all to do with image.

I admit image, stage presence, media coverage and statistics, etc, and even the personal lives of famous artist is all a part of the big picture. I believe image has very little significance when rating a band, the music gives valid representation to an artist as a music "Icon". Not how they represent themselves or how the media represents and rates them.
Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote