Music Banter - View Single Post - Death
Thread: Death
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #38 (permalink)
hip hop bunny hop
Music Addict

Quote:
I`m surprised this group doesn`t get more attention on these boards, because without doubt Death were one of the essential bands in the whole extreme metal movement and defined what death metal was all about. Chuck Schuldiner could run rings around a huge amount of metal guitarists and their move into more technical and progressive metal was equally amazing and they were on a par with Atheist on the progressive side on things.
I added the bold; and I did so because that is wrong. Death were & are an important band in extreme metal, death metal in particular, and music in general - however, they are not and have never been the defining death metal band. Death are 2nd wave of Death Metal; first wave bands such as Sepultura & Possessed were more important.

And while I doubt you think this, I know some newbs do, and it annoys me to no end, so I will say it; "Death Metal" was not a term dreamt up for Death clones or sound-a-likes. Death were neither the first Death Metal band or the most important (or well known) of the second wave of Death Metal.