Music Banter - View Single Post - Death
Thread: Death
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 04:08 AM   #39 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip hop bunny hop View Post
I added the bold; and I did so because that is wrong. Death were & are an important band in extreme metal, death metal in particular, and music in general - however, they are not and have never been the defining death metal band. Death are 2nd wave of Death Metal; first wave bands such as Sepultura & Possessed were more important.

And while I doubt you think this, I know some newbs do, and it annoys me to no end, so I will say it; "Death Metal" was not a term dreamt up for Death clones or sound-a-likes. Death were neither the first Death Metal band or the most important (or well known) of the second wave of Death Metal.
I disagree with most of this. Firstly, defining means most representative of the genre as in terms of style, direction of the genre and a level of popularity and NOT necessarily the first to do that style. Secondly, Death were out before the second wave of death metal came in and had already released their first two classic death metal albums, the second wave came out around 1989/1990 when the record labels saw it as a marketable metal genre and most of the other best known metal bands had put their debut albums. Thirdly, I`ll agree that Possessed probably put out one the first ever true death metal album in "Seven Churches" but they were only a couple years ahead of Death before they split/released their last album making them pioneers rather than defining the genre. Fourthly, Groups like Celtic Frost, Slayer and Sepultura etc were just huge influences on the genre than actually representing the genre. Finally, Chuck Schuldiner wasn`t known as the "Father of Death Metal" for nothing.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote