Music Banter - View Single Post - ThePhanastasio's Song Lyrics and Such.
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #36 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Hello Phanastasio,

The lyrics for your song that I am calling "One last smoke" were sad. I liked them!

They offer a nice description of how a person can imagine others are thinking badly about her fragility. In reality she is probably the only one who really cares strongly about whether she lives up to her expectations for herself. Most people, I think, are too wrapped up in their own fears of failure and success to really care much about what happens to another.

I interpret the lyrics at the beginning as describing how smoking is a slow way to kill oneself rather than just lighting oneself on fire and going up in a blaze of glory.

My favorite line was about her pissing herself...the ultimate symbol of a terrified, timid human or dog:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhanastasio View Post
One last smoke, the tip lights up
We're going to be here for a while
I'm too much of a coward
To go up in a flame of glory
And cowards can't go out in style

And if I cry
Don't let them know
Don't tell them
And if I piss myself
Please keep that mum

Please tell them that I went out in style
Please tell them that I'm not a coward now
Just tell them that my last words had meaning
Don't tell them that I wept
Like a girl
Funny, how crying is considered a "girl" thing to do. That is such a crock. I am a proud releaser of tears. I think the bravest people are the ones who can cry.

Quote:
Here's my drunkest cover ever.

I'd like to hear your sober version!

Quote:
Just a little bit of what I'm writing on:

Jesus Christ, I just don't know what to do
Jesus Christ, think I should tell what I need
Jesus Christ, I just don't know what to do
Jesus Christ, I'm a puppet for their greed

We fall, en masse, the prospect is futile
And nobody comes out ahead
The King of Hearts silences us
Then he stabs himself in the head
Is it poker if the King is dead?

Work in progress, guys. Work in progress.
My favorite line is in bold because in my opinion that is very good advice: telling people what you need is wise because if you never tell, you know you probably won't get what you need...but if you *tell* then there is a possibility that someone may listen and care enough to try to help you meet your needs. You never know in advance. The person might not care at all. If you tell what you need, then at least you've tried, and maybe that counts the most.

I feel the rest of the lyrics, beginning with the puppet line, are more melodramatic and theatrical than I'd prefer...esp. the part about the King of Hearts stabbing himself. I know you're in theater, so maybe this feels natural to you. To me it feels contrived.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 07-16-2011 at 11:47 AM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote