Music Banter - View Single Post - Punks = Hippies + Violence???
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 10:49 PM   #84 (permalink)
hip hop bunny hop
Music Addict

Quote:
Generally speaking, I've always thought that golden age punk, lyrically, was more political than that of hippie music because it covered a broader range of topics. Sure the ideas may have been left-leaning but to me it seemed all the hippies ever sang about when it came to politics was how bad Vietnam was. Punk on the other hand, discussed socio-political problems like class disparity, racism, feminism, etc.
Typically punk politics don't fit the music. The music is antagonistic, abrasive, and made to not be popular; it is, in a word, elitist. It clashes horribly with the lyrics they purport to believe, and the reality of how punks try so very hard to exist within their own subculture instead of society at large certainly doesn't help their far left bonafides.

Really, I think typically left punk politics are just a crappy xerox of whatever is chic at a particular time in a given area; whether primitivism, social democracy, or "veganarchism"..... it's a veneer of radicalism on boring suburbanites.