Music Banter - View Single Post - Paul McCartney - The REAL King of Pop?
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 05:30 AM   #125 (permalink)
starrynight
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
It's just a gimmick.

Just like James Brown is 'The hardest working man in showbusiness' or The Rolling Stones 'The greatest rock n roll band in the world' or Kiss being 'The hottest band in the world' or Motorhead being 'the loudest band in the world'

Sure there are probably people who could dispute those claims but those bands claimed those things and they stuck with the general public so I guess there could be some element of truth to them regardless of whether they are actually 100% true or false.
So you say it's just a gimmick and then you say there is an element of truth.

Really I think these outlandish statements are more that if people hear something often enough they believe it as fact even if it isn't. That's how human beings are, they easily believe what they are told. People will go with the bandwagon. All it takes is for the marketing to get enough coverage/penetration and the wagon gets rolling and people start to jump on. People feel security in going with what they are told rather than daring to actually question something.

And of course the death of an artist, particularly if they are relatively young, is given a mystique by the media and gives an opportunity for others to make more money out of them with the new hype they will get. These people have a vested interest in encouraging the hype. Record companies tend to make up these titles for singers or groups.