Music Banter - View Single Post - Punks = Hippies + Violence???
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 11:53 PM   #87 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip hop bunny hop View Post
The music is antagonistic, abrasive, and made to not be popular; it is, in a word, elitist.
At one time it was a different approach to popular music and Punk in the beginning was on the Pop charts in the UK - in a certain sense it was popular.

original version by The Rivieras reached # 5 US Pop Charts

# 2 UK Pop Charts

Anyway I don't totally agree with the equation with "Punks = Hippies + Violence" because it wasn't always about violence and it was only certain part of Punk fan-dom that were violent. Only later did Punk become more and more hard core and thus going further underground. In the beginning it was non-elitist and back to the basics response to the acts of the music industry that were considered the musical elite.

Punk "music" especially the approach to playing guitar is more intelligent that people give it credit; what is clever about Punk music is more likely lost on the non-fan of Punk. The music itself is genius in it's simplicity. What was antagonistic and abrasive about but Punk was the lyrics and attitude of the performer but taken into consideration some Proto-Punk and Punk bands it really didn't start off that way. Yes there are some real hardcore punk music that isn't so listener-friendly but not all Punk is like that.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote