Music Banter - View Single Post - Paul McCartney - The REAL King of Pop?
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #126 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynight View Post
So you say it's just a gimmick and then you say there is an element of truth.
Yes
I don't see how that negates the other. A lot of gimmicks tend to be an exaggeration of the truth, or an extension of a personality.

Quote:
Really I think these outlandish statements are more that if people hear something often enough they believe it as fact even if it isn't. That's how human beings are, they easily believe what they are told. People will go with the bandwagon. All it takes is for the marketing to get enough coverage/penetration and the wagon gets rolling and people start to jump on. People feel security in going with what they are told rather than daring to actually question something.
So you're saying there's no truth in anything I listed?
So Motorhead are not known for being a loud band ?
I think a rather large majority if not all who have seen or heard them would beg to differ.
James Brown wasn't one of the hardest working performers around?
I guess the 50 or so studio albums he recorded 60s 70s & 80s as well as the sheer number of shows the guy played prove that he's a bit of a slacker.
I'm not saying those claims are not used for marketing, of course they are but you need to be at least a little convincing in what you are trying to claim and market.
If Coldplay's record company suddenly started billing them as 'The worlds most bangin' techno band' you really think that's going to catch on?
Really?
Or why not bill Adele as being 'The sexiest singer in the world'
That'll work.

Quote:
And of course the death of an artist, particularly if they are relatively young, is given a mystique by the media and gives an opportunity for others to make more money out of them with the new hype they will get. These people have a vested interest in encouraging the hype. Record companies tend to make up these titles for singers or groups.
That's great and you may have a point but all the ones I listed and I think all the ones I've seen in this thread were alive when they got their 'gimmicks'.

In fact I'm hard pressed to think of one dead artist who's gimmick has changed since they died. Maybe you can think of some.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote