Music Banter - View Single Post - Post your piano music videos here
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Mallorca, by Isaac Albéniz, sounds less happy and vibrant than I expected for a piece about the Mediterranean...but maybe that's because when I was there, I was surrounded by lots of tourists and bustle, Zaqarbal! That picture you posted is beautiful. The sea really is that lovely bright turquoise, I remember. It was amazing.

This morning I was trying to find a complex, fast piano piece that sounds as if it were played on a player piano, and during my hunting I found this one below by Saint-Saëns. It reminded me a little of a player piano because it goes quite fast. Also, I liked it because I felt the 13-year-old pianist did an excellent job performing.

Saint-Saëns - Piano Concerto nr. 2 (3rd. mov)
Elisabeth Brauss, Macau Youth Symphony & Veiga Jardim

I have been trying without luck to find YouTube videos of the 2nd and 3rd movements of Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach's Sonata In G, WQ 65/22 (H 56), since I like the allegro very much. While searching, though, I listened to the following piece, played impressively by a little child, Charlie Liu:

Carl Phillipp Emmanual Bach - "Solfeggietto"
Charlie Liu, pianist, was only 6-years old in this video. His parents forgot the pedal extension and the elementary school where he performed didn't have an adjustable bench, so Charlie was sitting on two phonebooks and tiptoeing another while pedaling.

Charlie really plays well in my opinion and even has his own YouTube station: http://www.youtube.com/youngpianist. Here is another piece he played that I feel is interesting and really very delightful with the little zips in it (you'll know what I mean if you listen all the way through):

Prokofiev Prelude in C Major
Charlie Liu, Pianist

Look at his happy smile at the beginning!
This piece sounds playful and joyous to me. Effervescent. I love that the composition includes so many unexpected notes that I can't predict what will happen next. I especially like the contrast between the middle, modern-sounding section and the main melody that flanks it. The fast runs (zips) are a perfect matching of composition to instrument, since only on a keyboard are fast runs of notes like that possible. This piece makes me want to hear more by Prokofiev:

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 07-22-2011 at 03:24 AM. Reason: I included Charlie Liu's performances.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote