Music Banter - View Single Post - Music & Politics.
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 06:10 PM   #23 (permalink)
Merkaba
Whitewater!

I think bands should only deal in politics if their music suits it... and obviously understand it.

System of a down for example. The Robin hoods of political critics. Take anti peace, people killing, power hungry decisions and tear them to shreads. Why? Because their music damn well suits it. Hard, brutal and clever, these guys deal with issues that are just that in real life...like war "why dont presidents fight the war why do they send the poor". It is a powerful moral issue that powerhouse music can deal with.

Rage Against The Machine. Their name sez it all. And again, their music suits it. Argumentative, angry, and clever. These guys have the right sound to make music based on politics. They have dark brooding music while Zach winds up his main point for the song, then all hell breaks loose when he screams the accusation. Not all of rages music is good but it is cleverly written and isn't your joe average sneer at presidents or whatever.