Music Banter - View Single Post - Vote for a FAIR album before July 30
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 02:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Moshe
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
After the two wonderful albums, John W Harding and Nashville Skyline, I was pretty disappointed by Self Portrait, which seemed to be pulling in too many different directions and was rather below his usual standard in terms of lyrics. But, as you say, one or two tracks are great.
Talking of Dylan`s voice, wasn`t he supposed to have a cold when he recorded one of those albums,and so sounded different ?

For the poll, I was tempted by JP`s Exuma, but have finally gone for Petula07`s Koder Pà Snor because it sounds so exotic.
Most of the songs on Self Portait were not written by Dylan.
I love the opening cut "All the Tired Horses In The Sun"- vocals by a female chorous. the only lyrics are "All the tired horses in the sun, how am I supposed to get any ridin' done?"
When I first heard this I thought the second line was "How am I going to get any writting done" which would have been a nice excuse for not writing much on the album.
Other great gtrack: the country song "Gotta Travel On", soundtrack instrumental, "Wigwam" , folk ballad "Days of 49" & shlock "Send A Message to Marie"
Americana artiste Ryan adams (never got into his stuff at all, BTW) rates Self portrait as an "Americana" classic
Moshe is offline   Reply With Quote