Music Banter - View Single Post - Post your piano music videos here
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 05:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaltezon View Post
Not many -- the few I've heard sound Bach-like but plodding and without the sparkling precision of JS music.

I do like CPE's 'Solfeggietto in C minor' , which Marc-André Hamelin turned into fuel for the fabulous Ampico Bösendorfer Grand. It's amazing what this piano can do with the right music:

Hamelin's 'Solfeggietto a Cinque' for player piano

Hamelin's 'Solfeggietto a Cinque' for player piano made me curious about his other compositions, so I listened to a few more. The first, below, stood out for me because, being very delicate, it so much the opposite of his Solfeggietto in C minor for the player piano:

Marc-André Hamelin - Berceuse, in tempore belli

"Valse Irritation" was a second piece that caught my attention, because Hamelin composed it to express his annoyance at ringing cell phones . Hamelin apparently transcribed the Nokia ringtone when making this composition, which he "is known to play in concerts when he hears a cell phone go off." I like to hear about the fuel that inspired him to compose, whether the fuel was CPE Bach's music or Nokia's ringtone.

Marc-André Hamelin - Valse Irritation d'après Nokia

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote