Music Banter - View Single Post - Vote for a FAIR album before July 30
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 05:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe View Post
Most of the songs on Self Portait were not written by Dylan.
I love the opening cut "All the Tired Horses In The Sun"- vocals by a female chorous. the only lyrics are "All the tired horses in the sun, how am I supposed to get any ridin' done?".
Yes, Dylan gives us a lot more covers than he usually does, and you`re right, Tired Horses is a beautiful track; unlike anything else Dylan has done, as far as I know.

Quote:
When I first heard this I thought the second line was "How am I going to get any writting done" which would have been a nice excuse for not writing much on the album.
That never occured to me - it would`ve been quite clever !

Quote:
Other great gtrack: the country song "Gotta Travel On", soundtrack instrumental, "Wigwam" , folk ballad "Days of 49" & shlock "Send A Message to Marie"
Americana artiste Ryan adams (never got into his stuff at all, BTW) rates Self portrait as an "Americana" classic
Other tracks that work well for me are the obvious choices; Copper Kettle, Belle Isle and Early Morning Rain.
Though it comes from a different period, another excellent Americana cover by Bob is Shenandoah from "Down In The Groove."
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote