Music Banter - View Single Post - Strategies Against Architecture II - The (NEW) Avant Garde/Experimental Album Club
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

Jihad / Live at the ECCA 1980 (2008) by Tunnel Canary

Straight from Canada's underground punk scene... Tunnel Canary were making scream-noise/free improvisational music from the late 70s to early 80s... and there was nothing quite like it at the time. Technically, this group was made up of only two people: Nathan Holiday (guitar, electronics) and Ebra Ziron (vocals). Holiday, who was the founder of the group, spoke about how punk rock wasn't really rebelious in terms of its song structure and how many of the artists were just playing the same old rock 'n' roll chords over and over again. Sounds a bit like the No Wave philosophy, huh? Anyways... he felt that someone needed to take punk rock's abrasiveness and upfront attitude and make something completely different out of it... This is what he ended up doing, and (in my opinion) he did it well. Holiday actually considers his music to be "real" punk rock due to its utter disregard of conventional song structures and his I-don't-give-a-fuck attitude to what people wanted in music. Anyways, the album itself is comprised of three lengthy tracks: "Jihad", "Beauty Secrets", and "Winterkill". They're harsh, noisy, and they have screaming female vocals.

I can't help but think that Canada has a thing for early noise music... You know... with artists, such as Intersystems and The Nihilist Spasm Band, but... I digress.

Last edited by TockTockTock; 07-23-2011 at 03:11 PM.
TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote