Music Banter - View Single Post - Luigi Boccherini (1743-1805)
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

I enjoy Boccherini's spirited, lively music, which often feels fresh and full of life to me, as if he has condensed a zest for living into song. Here is what I wrote about him in an earlier post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Luigi Boccherini - an Italian man who sounds passionate and full of fire, based on his music I've heard and this story from his life:

Quote:
Luigi Boccherini - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 1761 Boccherini went to Madrid, where he was employed by Infante Luis Antonio of Spain, younger brother of King Charles III. There he flourished under royal patronage, until one day when the King expressed his disapproval at a passage in a new trio, and ordered Boccherini to change it. The composer, no doubt irritated with this intrusion into his art, doubled the passage instead, leading to his immediate dismissal.
Hoping to expand my knowledge of his music, I just listened to the following song by Boccherini that I'd never heard before today:

Luigi Boccherini - Rondo for duo cello and piano

And below is more of the "Night Music of the Streets of Madrid," from which you already posted the most vibrant portion, Zaqarbal...but its animated gusto made me curious to hear the rest:

Luigi Boccherini, "Musica notturna delle strade di Madrid," Opus 30 No. 6 (G. 324)
From wiki: "The Night Music of the Streets of Madrid was published years after Boccherini’s death, because, he told his publisher: 'The piece is absolutely useless, even ridiculous, outside Spain, because the audience cannot hope to understand its significance, nor the performers to play it as it should be played.' " He was wrong: the piece isn't useless.

Sadly, this is how Boccherini's life ends: "Boccherini fell on hard times following the deaths of his Spanish patron, two wives, and two daughters, and he died almost in poverty in Madrid in 1805."

But his music lives on . . .

Luigi Boccherini, playing his cello, Circa 1764-1767, artist unknown:

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 07-24-2011 at 07:58 AM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote