Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #10430 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post

It wasn't at all what I was expecting. Sure, I did expect liberal blood and gore and lots of camp value, but not this. I was hoping for something more along the lines of Kick-Ass or Kill Bill Vol. 1, but instead what I got was an unfunny, nearly soulless, appalling, and kind of disturbing bloodbath. That's not to say that it wasn't at all entertaining, but there were many times that I really felt like turning it off.
When I saw the trailer, I thought it looked like a bit like a Troma movie with a budget and Rutger Hauer. That's basically what I thought as I watched it too and so it definetly lived up to my expectations which were pretty much spot on .. I wouldn't call it soulless, in fact I thought Hauer put a lot of soul into his performance, definetly considering it's basically a cheap exploitation flick. In my opinion, when watching this film, one should compare it to the kind of cheap exploitation movies it draws inspiration from and in ways is a tribute to. I wouldn't expect people who don't know it's heritage to enjoy it much - or at least they're probably more likely to get disappointed because they expected something else.

I liked it a lot and I figure people who like Troma flicks like Toxic Avenger or the more recent Poultrygeist should definetly check it out