Music Banter - View Single Post - Elliott Smith:Overrated
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #28 (permalink)
Sneer
Let it drip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I actually do tend to find Elliott Smith somewhat overrated. I own XO and Figure 8, and he's written some great songs, but as a whole he continually leaves me unimpressed. There's not much I find in him to keep going back to. I respect him, but ultimately, he doesn't move me.
Figure 8 is definitely his weakest album as far as I'm concerned. Try Roman Candle, Elliott Smith, Either/Or and From a Basement on the Hill, then say you're unimpressed.

Smith is, along with Leonard Cohen, my favourite singer-songwriter. The intimacy implicit in his records, along with his grasp and use of melody, harmony and chord progressions, totally engrosses me. He also played and arranged all (or the vast majority at least) of the instruments heard on his albums, which is impressive in itself.

He was a very talented man who made music that has the capacity to deeply touch the listener if given a chance. To that end I don't think he gets enough credit. Of course he won't be everybody's cup of tea, but there'll always be those people out there who sh!t on an artist just to be contrary too.
Sneer is offline   Reply With Quote