Music Banter - View Single Post - Amy Winehouse pronounced dead
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #76 (permalink)
Ben Butler
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by right-track View Post
First of all, it simply isn't true that most of the world is mourning more over the death of Winehouse, than the loss of all those young people in Norway.
Just reading this thread and a modicum of common sense should tell you that much.

Secondly, the tabloid newspapers do not reflect what most people in Britain actually think. To believe that as true is plainly idiotic.
I don't believe you believe that either, which makes me wonder why you even pointed it out in the first place.

Thirdly, you say you know some people who claim not to care about what happens outside of England.
Well I don't know where you come from, but it isn't the case where I live.
I can only think you have some pretty shallow friends, friend.

Fourthly, are you fucking serious?

Your comparison in your previous post showed an incredible lack of respect for the Norwegian tragedy and the death of a troubled human being.
To play one off against the other was, to put it frankly, obnoxious.

We have two threads. This one and the Norway thread.
If you want to express your sympathy for Norway, then post in that one without speaking ill of the dead and being judgemental in this one!
Reading this thread to say the world doesn't care about the Norway shooting's is not your best source. It is going to be bias towards Amy Winehouse considering we're discussing this issue on a music forum.

The tabloids don't express the views of everyone but a lot of people get papers that conform to their political views. A conservative backer isn't to going to get The Guardian. The newspapers all too often are the voice of the people.

The comparison was there on the basis that more people seem to care about Amy Winehouse than the Norway tragedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I`ve just read through this thread and I can`t believe that you and other people are actually making the comparison between Amy Winehouse and the Norway massacre, both are tragedies but to even compare them is pointless. One is the tragic death of a singer, which wasn`t over surprising and the other a tragedy totally unexpected but both are tragic losses and should be treated as such.

As for how you can say that her past life is no excuse for taking drugs is beyond me as well. The whole point is that when somebody is that depressed, they can react in any number of ways, whether this be drugs, booze or any other form of self abuse, the point is that when somebody is that down thay can react in any number of ways and to be judgemental of these people shows a real lack of human understanding.

As for some people not caring about what goes on outside England, luckily I don`t know anyone who thinks like that at all.
92 people dying in Norway is far more of a tragedy that Amy Winehouse dying. They were just innocent youths in a politcal camp that were shot dead by a right wing, extremist lunatic. They didn't have a choice, Winehouse did with the drugs and the alcohol. They were the future of Norway, Winehouse was just a mess. The Norway tragedy has far more pressing global concerns, i.e. international terroism than Amy Winehouse dying. The educational person will always choose to read about Norway.

Addiction is not a disease, it is quite different from undoubted brain disorders such as dementia or Alzheimer's. People can't recover from these but they can from addiction. If there is something in their lives that they value that is at stake - but incentives don't do much for dementia. Addicts are not passive victims, this is a gross simplifcation.

It may be impossible, in the late stages of psychological and physical dependancy the break the habit of years without help and the motivation to give up the relief of the next hit must be greatly diminished by the knowledge that you will return to a world marked by the damage you have done to your prospects or to the lives of others.

Guilt, emptiness and a huge and daunting task of reconstruction face the recovering addict. In the early stages, however, it is a different story. There are genetic explantions for addiction and it is true that children of addicts are more likely to become addicts and the other argument is the link between genes and addictive behaviour is the brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
And thousands of people are currently suffering through a famine in Somalia, but you don't seem to care about that. The fact is it's completely possible to find more than one thing tragic at the same time even if they are not equal in scope.
What makes you think I don't care about Somalia? Stop making generalized assumptions about me that are simply not true. You know nothing about me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by right-track View Post
The front page of The Star on Sunday was all about Amy Winehouse with a very small article at the top about Norway. Pick up The Guardian and you can guarantee that it would be Norway.