Music Banter - View Single Post - The Grateful Dead
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #78 (permalink)
Dessalines
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhanastasio View Post
False.

I dig Moby Grape, so that part's not so false. I'm just saying that from an improvisational standpoint in their time, GD were damn near untouchable. And not in the slightest rhythmically challenged. Not sure where that came from.

Vocals are subjective, so I'll leave that one be.
It has been known for years that Bob Wier was almost kicked out of the band several times because he could not stay on beat. However, they kept him on....

Look, these guys were always raw. You go listen to "Working Man's Dead? and tell me that the singing there is good. It's not. That is the case on many Dead songs. If you like raw sounding stuff, then fine but it is not in the same class as so many other bands who could sing and play to a click track.

Shall we talk about "Anthem Of The Sun"? What a rip off. Not one redeeming song on the whole piece of vinyl and yet people bought that. Hell, I bought that and frankly it was all trash.

I did actually like some of Europe 72 live but a lot of that also leaves a lot to be desired from the vocal and rhythm perspectives but one makes allowances for that because it's live. However, if most of your studio records sound like live records only worse, then the band sucks. Compare them to the Byrds? Buffalo Springfield? Moby Grape as I mentioned before? Look you can be a band or you can be an experience and the Dead were definitely the latter.
Dessalines is offline   Reply With Quote