Music Banter - View Single Post - The Grateful Dead
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #79 (permalink)
Dessalines
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Not rhythm challenged and with poor vocals......what are you on about!

The vocals on most of the Grateful Dead albums are pretty impressive and on songs like "Sugar Magnolia" they`re so good that you can taste them!

I like Moby Grape but for all their talent, they only ever put out two good albums their debut album and "Wow"

Really? Go listen to the harmonies on Gene Clark's "No Other" and tell me if the dead every approached that? Stack that up against "Working Man's Dead" or the truly execrable "Anthem Of The Sun".... "Alligator running round my door" indeed, and the kazoo what was up with the kazoo, is that supposed to be funny?!!! Hello, that is junk. If I want funny I'll put on a George Carlin record.

Never ever on their best day did they sing what could be called good, much less excellent. Passable at times but not in the league of good harmony groups. The Byrds had harmonies, the dead had people trying to sing. Jerry's voice was thin and reedy, just like his guitar tone. People rave about his guitar playing when all he did was wander around the fret board without much phrasing. He was terrible. But people love it because they got high and it sounded good to them.

As for Wow, it was a ruined album. Ruined as the original band was torn apart by drug abuse and mental illness, What a loss. BTW, I thought Moby Grape 69 was a pretty solid record.

My point wasn't that the Grape were a more long lived band than the dead but they were head and shoulders better musicians and every guy in the band could actually sing.
Dessalines is offline   Reply With Quote