Music Banter - View Single Post - Urban's Journal Of Half Assed Ideas
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #125 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

An Apology

I wish to extend a unequivocal unreserved and heartfelt apology to a Mr G Lee, Mr N Peart and Mr A Lifeson better known as the popular beat combo known as Rush.

Over the past 6 years as a member of this forum I have shamefully berated this band far more than they deserve to be berated.
It was a combination of many factors of which I shall explain the reasons for my actions in detail in a moment.
What I will say that lead to this change of heart was practically being forced at gunpoint to listen to the Moving Pictures album by someone of whom I respect a great deal and discovering that it is indeed a great album just as he had been trying to drill into my head for God knows how long.

The reason for my dislike of Rush goes back many years, I distinctly remember buying All The World's A Stage & Hemispheres when I was 14 or 15 years old. I tried to like them. I really did, I even sort of liked a few songs but on the whole I found most of the stuff to be rather boring. I was 15 years old, I was a raging inferno of attitude & hormones. I didn't want to listen to songs about Snow Dogs or Trees. I was more interested in the passage between a girls legs than one to Bangkok, so this Rush thing was never going to happen for me. Nobody ever got laid listening to Caress of Steel... trust me.

So even though a couple of songs interested me they soon faded when more glamorous & edgy bands came around to my attention a couple of years later. Iggy, NY Dolls, Black Flag, Primal Scream, Sonic Youth, Husker Du, Bowie. Stuff that was actually cool to listen to. I began to resent even considering buying anything as geeky as a Rush album but the resentment eventually died to total disinterest and they became long since forgotten in my mind as I spent the whole of the 90s in some drunken stupor trying to dance to bad electronic desperate for a shag.

Come 22nd December 1999 and I find myself online for the first time ever. Naturally I search out music sites and after browsing these for a while and meeting all sorts of people I come to the following conclusion.
People who listen to prog rock are really fucking annoying,
So what mild disinterest I had in Rush soon turned into hatred as the thought of listening to anything the same as these people filled me with horror. Annoying Rush fans became a sport and one which I had a lot of fun with.

But then I realised that even bands that I do like have arsehole fans. How could I hate Rush because of their fans when I listened to Radiohead. I thought about giving them another chance now that I was older & wiser but I chickened out, I just couldn't bring myself to listen to a band I had been so vocal in my distaste for, even though it's about 15 years since I actually listened to them and my decision to dislike them was made when the whole of my taste in music could be summed up as loud metal & loud punk.

As I've gotten older I've come to realise that there's room for all bands on the geek spectrum in my record collection I don't have to JUST listen to cool music, I can throw in the odd nerdy unfashionable band in once in a while & nobody will notice. Besides, I've come to realise that being cool & hip isn't all it's cracked up to be, besides with my good looks, wit, charm, intelligence & humbleness i'm pretty damn cool anyway so listening to one geeky prog rock band isn't going to make that much of a dent into my attributes. And who knows, maybe I'll enjoy Permanent Waves just as much.

And I bet I could get laid playing Caress Of Steel.

Here's hoping you accept my humble apology

Urbz xxx

P.S. I stand by my vote for Keith Moon in that thread.

P.P.S. Any members of Genesis reading this ... don't get any fucking ideas.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote