Music Banter - View Single Post - The Death Metal thread
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #70 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
So what's the general consensus on melodic death metal? From any region, but first lets talk about the Gothenburg scene in the mid to late '90's. It was really Carcass' '94 album Heartwork that kick started the genre, but it's really hard to narrow down exactly when the fracture started. It seems like the subgenre really divides fans of death metal, some think it a nice advancement of the genre, taking on new forms to remain fresh, and others think it goes against the entire ethos of the genre.

If there's one thing that can be said about it, it's that it really does allow a good entry point for metal listeners to get into extreme metal, so it does have that one advantage that a lot of other sub genres cannot claim ownership of.
I`d say it kicked off with Carcass as well with Heartwork, before moving over to its true birth place in Gothenburg with the big 3 bands there At the Gates, Dark Tranquillity and In Flames. Other bands such as Hypocrisy were pretty influential and there was also a large movement in Finland as well with bands like Amorphis (the Finnish bands sound very different to the Swedish ones) Looking on wiki there are a huge amount of bands under melodic death metal and I`d be surprised just how many of them people on this forum actually know of! Most of them are European bands and mostly from Sweden and Finland.

Personally, I`d say the average death metalhead probably wouldn`t be that impressed with the melodic version, as its basically a weakening of their beloved sound! As for an entry point into extreme metal, melodic death metal I`d say was a great starting point.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote