Music Banter - View Single Post - The Grateful Dead
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 09:54 PM   #82 (permalink)
Howard the Duck
Live by the Sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I think you`ve missed the point about the Grateful Dead, They were basically a happy-go-lucky hippy band who concocted up a hodge-podge of musical sounds (blues, folk, psychedelia, country and later jazz) and just churned them out in they`re own hippy style. They were competent players and adequate singers that specialized in improvisation and they were made even more interesting due to the stark contrast at times between their studio material and live sets. Also their loyal and fanatical fanbase and their large amount of drug and booze related deaths of band members made them interesting as well.

They`re is no point comparing them to say Moby Grape as top notch musicians (even though I think the style of Jerry Garcia is very good) and there is also no point comparing them to the Byrds either, for me the Byrds were in the same league as the Beatles as song writers. I just look at the Grateful Dead as a fun group to listen to with some really great songs and albums to boot.
meh

i love The Byrds but their best songs were covers

Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote