Music Banter - View Single Post - Strategies Against Architecture II - The (NEW) Avant Garde/Experimental Album Club
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
OccultHawk
one-balled nipple jockey

We got some great picks. I love VtB. I got one.

Karlheinz Stockhausen- Hymnen

Hymnen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm really being lazy not describing it myself but it's an electronic collection of many national anthems. I guess you could say it's sort of a cross between John Cage and Tangerine Dream. This quote is from the one review on Amazon

Quote:
The work is divided into four "regions" centered around a specific national anthem or conglomeration of anthems. Around these "centers" are juxtaposed electronically generated sounds and voiced multi-lingual phrases; i.e., a commingling of the "known" with the abstract and unknown. From the composer's notes: "When one integrates in a composition known music with unknown new music, one can hear especially well how it was integrated: untransformed, more or less transformed, transposed, modulated, etc. The more self-evident the WHAT, the more attentive the listener becomes to the HOW. Naturally, national anthems are more than that: they are "loaded" with time, with history - with past, present, and future. They accentuate the subjectivity of peoples in a time when uniformity is all too often mistaken for universality. One must also make a clear distinction between subjectivity - and correspondence between subjective musical objects - and individualistic isolation and separation. The composition Hymnen is not a collage"
I dislike how pretentious that all sounds (and I know that word can get me in trouble here) but it really is cool. My favorite Stockhausen that I've heard.

Amazon.com: Karlheinz Stockhausen-Hymnen: Music
OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote